Paid collaboration with Cardiff Children’s Literature Festival
As you’ll know if you read Cardiff Mummy Says regularly we are big bookworms in this family with reading a high priority for all of us.
One of the highlights of our annual events calendar is the Cardiff Children’s Literature Festival – and we are thrilled to be blogger ambassadors once again for this year’s event which comes to Cardiff later this month.
Now in its sixth year the Cardiff Children’s Literature Festival 2018 takes place between Saturday 21 and Sunday 29 April and will be bringing top children’s authors and illustrators to the Welsh capital for a celebration of all things literature.
Both weekends are jam-packed full of family-friendly sessions from authors and illustrators plus there’s a number of free schools events taking place in between.
More than 40 ticketed events will take place at some of Cardiff’s most iconic venues including Cardiff Castle, City Hall, the Reardon Smith Theatre in the National Museum Wales, Cardiff Central Library and The Cardiff Story as the festival continues to create lifelong readers with events to enthuse children about reading.
Aimed predominately at children aged 3-11 events include writing workshops, book readings, craft activities, quizzes and games and the occasional character appearance – as well as free craft sessions at the Cardiff Story from 10am-4pm each weekend day of the festival.
Guest authors and illustrators include Petr Horáček, Sibéal Pounder, Tom Percival, Catherine Fisher, Huw Aaron, Tom Palmer, Steven Butler and Jonathan Meres to name a few with tickets for the sessions costing between £2-£5 per person.
Produced by City of Cardiff Council, Literature Wales, Cardiff University and National Museum Wales you can see the full festival line-up here.
Festival highlights include a Harry Potter party at City Hall where fans can immerse themselves in Hogwarts life; a chance to create a comic with resident artist Huw Aaron; a silly songbook performance with the hilarious Nick Cope; a special opportunity to hear about Gaspard the Fox with BBC broadcaster Zeb Soanes; a bilingual LEGO Lit workshop, and a storytime session with everyone’s favourite bear, Paddington.
In the year that marks the centenary of the suffragette movement, the festival programme includes an inspirational female line up including Welsh TV presenter, ultra-marathon runner and full-time ‘rebel girl’ Lowri Morgan, who has written a Welsh adaptation of the hit book Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, (Straeon Nos Da i Bob Rebel o Ferch). There’s also a special event with Louise Kay Stewart, the author and illustrator behind Rebel Voices; a celebration of women rallying around the globe to win the vote, stunningly illustrated by Eve Lloyd Knight.
2018 is also the Visit Wales Year of the Sea and young mermaid fans will enjoy Bad Mermaids with Sibéal Pounder, where the author sets the record straight about these mythical sea creatures in her new series of stories.
You can buy tickets in advance online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/kidslitfest or by calling 0333 666 3366 (£1.50 booking fee for phone calls). Many of the events are expected to sell out so advance booking is recommended to avoid disappointment. However, any remaining tickets will be available from the venue on the day (cash purchases only). All children under 12 must be accompanied by a paying adult. Sessions last an hour unless otherwise stated and many of the authors will be on hand after their sessions to sign books (with plenty of books on sale throughout the festival).
Win family tickets!
One lucky Cardiff Mummy Says reader will win a family ticket (up to two adults and three children) for any two sessions of their choosing (subject to availability). They will also receive a bundle of books suitable for their children’s age.
For a chance to win just answer this simple question and leave your answer on the Cardiff Children’s Literature Festival 2018 post on the Cardiff Mummy Says Facebook page.
Closing date for entries is Saturday 7 April 2018 at 11.59pm.
Q. Name any three of the venues where Cardiff Children’s
Literature Festival 2018 sessions are taking place.
Terms and conditions:
- There is one prize, consisting of family tickets (up to two adults and three children) to any two sessions at Cardiff Children’s Literature Festival 2018 subject to availability; plus a bundle of books selected by the festival promoters and suitable for the age of the winner’s children.
- There is no alternative prize.
- Closing date for entries is Saturday 7 April, 11.59pm.
- Entrants must be 18 years or over.
- To enter, leave your answer to the above question in the comments section of the Cardiff Children’s Literature Festival giveaway post on the Cardiff Mummy Says Facebook page.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all correct entries submitted before the closing date. The winner will be informed with a reply to their Facebook comment and a direct Facebook message letting them know they have won. All reasonable attempts will be made to contact the winner. If the winner cannot be contacted by 11.59pm on Thursday 12 April 2018 the prize will be forfeited and offered to another eligible entrant.
- Cardiff Mummy Says reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time. Any new terms and conditions will be published here.
- Cardiff Mummy Says reserves the right to end this promotion at any time and without notice.
- Cardiff Mummy Says cannot be held responsible for the failure of third party organisations to provide the prize, or for loss, damage or non-arrival of the prizes.
- Relatives of Cathryn Scott, author of Cardiff Mummy Says, may not enter the giveaway.
- Employees or relatives of those employed by City of Cardiff Council, Literature Wales, Cardiff University and National Museum Wales may not enter this giveaway.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.