Paid collaboration with Treads shoes
Have you started thinking about the start of the new school term yet? We’re only one week into the holidays – but it will be here before we know it… as will the shopping to get uniform, school bags, stationery and the rest it.
If your child needs new school shoes then you might like to know about Treads – the indestructible school shoes that are made in South Wales. You can shop online for them – or read on for the chance to win a pair for your child, as well as a discount code for 10% off purchases.
Like so many great inventions, Treads came about out of frustration.
Dad of three Simon Locke was so fed up of having to continually replace his son’s school shoes that he decided to tackle the problem head on by creating his own indestructible shoe brand.
After his wife tragically died 10 years ago, Simon, now 48, suddenly became a lone parent to three young children – a son and two daughters aged 7, 4 and 1 – and found himself taking on responsibilities he had not previously given much thought to, including buying school shoes for his children. Like many parents, Simon opted for shoes from well-known trusted high street brands, believing that these would be more durable and hard-wearing but, despite their higher price tag, he found that his son’s shoes would regularly return home in various states of disrepair.
He says, “Despite forking out more than £50 at a time, I found myself having to replace these shoes on a regular basis, sometimes in just a matter of weeks, due to issues with broken straps, worn soles, scuffed leather and stitching coming apart. The cost did not reflect durability and re-purchasing shoes became an all too familiar, increasingly frustrating and expensive cycle.”
And so Simon decided to take on the leading children’s footwear brands by creating a range of indestructible school footwear, drawing on his experience as marketing director with UK-wide shoe and multi-retailer, BVG Group, which is based in Brecon and ships over 4 million orders a year. He took inspiration from the hard-wearing safety footwear found in the construction industry.
Simon explains, “I noticed that there was a real gap in the market for high quality, durable shoes that are built to last and take on the everyday activities of school kids. Children don’t just sit at their desks during school time – they play football, climb trees, scuff their feet on pavements and kick the shoes off as soon as they get home, all of which takes its toll. The problem is that the current offerings aren’t cut out for this level of wear and my experience with my son illustrated this.
“You only need to look at other sectors to see that this kind of durability is possible. This motivated me to create the ultimate school shoe, one that would stand up to the challenges of any school yard.”
After more than two years of extensive research and development, Treads now sells a range of shoes for children in sizes Junior 11 to adult 11 (not all sizes are available in all styles), fitting children aged approximately 6 to 16. Traditional boy and girl styles are available, with new designs launched this summer, including Mary Jane and T-bar styles as well as two with reinforced toes and thick soles, ‘London’ and ‘Boston’. Some designs are lace-ups, others have a ‘touch fasten rip tape’ that allows easy on-off access.
The shoes, which cost between £35 and £45, are made from Permair leather and feature reinforced heels and seams, combined with shock absorbing insoles, to provide additional strength and prevent scuffing through stamping and knocks. The upper is made as one unit without the need for any glue, which prevents the material from coming apart and also offers additional flexibility, perfect for active kids.
To accommodate growing feet, a removable foot bed allows for extra room and depth, while a removable base layer increases the width of the shoe from a standard to a wide fitting.
The website features a helpful sizing guides, including a printable paper measure and online size calculator, while a measuring tool can also be ordered for a made-to-measure fit at home.
Free delivery and returns are also offered on all orders to help with sizing concerns and make the shopping process easy and stress-free for parents and children alike.
Speaking about the business, Simon says, “We’ve come a long way from the moment I decided to start this journey while sitting with my son and despairing at the state of his shoes, and it’s amazing to see how this idea has turned into a reality. The feedback I have received from customers, who have all experienced the same problems as me, has shown that there is a huge demand for these types of shoes and reinforced the very reason I started Treads in the first place.”
You can view the Treads range and read more about the company here.
And all of the shoes come with a 12-month indestructible guarantee.
Read on for details of how you can be in with a chance of winning a pair. And if you don’t win, you can still take advantage of 10% off purchases. Treads can offer a discount code for your readers to have 10% off with the code SALS.
Plus for every pair purchased Treads will also donate £1 to the Sals shoes charity, an incredible organisation which in the last five years has found new feet for over a million pairs of pre-loved children’s shoes in 38 countries around the world.
The discount code is: SALS. Use this code at the checkout to get your discount* terms and conditions apply see website for details.
Win a pair of Treads indestructible children’s school shoes
One lucky winner will receive a free pair of Treads children’s school shoes, thanks to this fantastic giveaway. The winner can choose any pair of shoes in any size from the website (subject to availability) and the shoes will be delivered to their home address.
For a chance to win, leave the answer to this simple question on the Treads post on the Cardiff Mummy Says Facebook page. Closing date for entries is 11.59pm on Sunday 4 August 2019. Good luck!
Q. For how many months does the
Treads indestructible guarantee cover?
Terms and conditions:
- There is one prize, consisting of one pair of children’s school shoes from the Treads website. The winner may choose any style of shoe in any size, subject to availability.
- The winner will have up to six months to claim their prize.
- There is no alternative prize and no cash alternative.
- Closing date for entries is Sunday 4 August 2019, 11.59pm.
- Entrants must be 18 years or over.
- To enter, leave your answer to the above question in the comments section of the Treads giveaway post on the Cardiff Mummy Says Facebook page.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all correct entries submitted before the closing date. The winner will be informed with a reply to their Facebook comment and a direct Facebook message letting them know they have won. All reasonable attempts will be made to contact the winner. If the winner cannot be contacted within 72 hours the prize will be forfeited and offered to another eligible entrant.
- Cardiff Mummy Says reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time. Any new terms and conditions will be published here.
- Cardiff Mummy Says reserves the right to end this promotion at any time and without notice.
- Cardiff Mummy Says cannot be held responsible for the failure of third party organisations to provide the prize, or for loss, damage or non-arrival of the prizes.
- Relatives of Cathryn Scott, author of Cardiff Mummy Says, may not enter the giveaway.
- Employees and their relatives of Treads shoes, BVG Group, or Working Word PR may not enter the giveaway.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.